Just some random thoughts on the proceedings of General Conference:
Saturday morning session:
First a question to anyone out there: why is everyone supposed to stand during a solemn assembly? Is it a public display of our inward commitment to the gospel, making an accounting of ourselves or something? I confess that I didn’t even think about standing when I was here in my front room—that seemed weird. But I still sustained them. I guess I need to do research on solemn assemblies.
I think today was the first and only time I heard/will hear a General Conference speaker say “Titicaca.” Not once, but twice. “Titicaca.” OH, grow up!!
It seemed to me that the overall focus, at least of this session, was family. Some of that was focused on fellowship in the ward family, but it was mostly focused on teaching and raising our own families instead of relying on the church to do it. Somewhat of a repetition of the Leadership Training Meeting from a few months ago (I guess that means it must be important!). It made me think of the Parable of the Ten Virgins, where learn that we can’t depend on the light of others and must be prepared ourselves.
The sister that talked about the ruby ring started a discussion between Amanda and myself about whether or not I’d be buried with my wedding ring on. She wants to keep it to show to her posterity. I said I want to be buried it. I said I’ll clench my fist when I die so that when rigor mortis sets in, she won’t be able to get my ring off. So she responded by saying she’ll get the guy at the mortuary to cut off my finger. Yeah, I’m sure they’d go for that. “Will you cut off my dead husband’s finger so I can get his ring?”
And speaking of rings, I’ve always liked Henry B. Eyring. Maybe it’s because he’s gangly, like I wish I was. Or maybe it’s because of that “eye ring” in The Beastmaster, a movie that I watched all the time as a kid.
Saturday afternoon session:
I always like the auditing/statistical report. I don’t know why.
Elder Oaks mentioned the conditional connection between taking the sacrament and having the Holy Ghost with us. I definitely feel a real difference when I miss the sacrament. That week always goes worse—I am angrier more quickly, get frustrated more quickly, and things just seem “off.”
OK, so I NEVER do this, and I look upon those who do it with utter contempt, but I fell asleep during the last part of the afternoon session. I blame it on the fact that I always wake up too early on Saturdays (5am this time around). So unfortunately, I can’t comment on the last section of the afternoon session. Sorry. Feel free to give your thoughts on the talks I missed, as well as any others.
I also missed the Priesthood Session, because Amanda was at work. She was supposed to get home at 7, and I was going to go see the last hr of it, but they made her stay til 9. But I’m guessing the topics were: strengthening the young men, preparing young missionaries, and being morally clean. Did I miss anything?
See you on Sunday!
Oh yeah, and 6 more days ‘til we leave for Disneyland!
4 comments:
Just so you don't feel bad about sleeping through the last part of the afternoon session...I didn't hear either of them and forgot to set them up to tape. Luck for me, they are going to be on again this week. I wish I had been able to listen to it, because someone would have probably mentioned that even though some of my in-laws bug the crap out of me, I should forgive them. While camping with them I was greatly tempted to pick up a cow pie and throw it at them, but resisted. I have to get some kind of blessing for that! I already told you I side with Amanda on the ring thing...precious or not! Oh, and when I called you a geek, it was from my own recognition as a geek myself. I totally watched Lord of the Rings last week!
Hey Andy,
Don't worry about falling asleep. My husband couldn't stay awake during any of the sessions. I told him maybe we should go to church and watch conference, but then I forget he falls asleep during Sacrament too. However he did wake up for a little of it. I thought my children bouncing on him would do the trick, not so. Hope you had a great weekend!!
HI, Andy, just to answer your question about standing in the solemn assembly. The reason they have us stand is because the sustaining is done by "quorums" and if everybody just sits there, how will they know the right people/quorum are raising their hands? So the standing is to group us and doesn't really have anything to do with the ordinance itself. So now you know.....
I think your comments about conference are awesome and I am very impressed with your spiritual sensitivity. I watched Saturday afternoon by by now everything is blended into one big "past weekend memory" so I can't tell you which talks were Saturday afternoon vs any other time.
We had tickets to the Conference Center for Sunday afternoon. It was my first time ever to personally attend a General Conference and I really enjoyed it. I perceived a big change in President Monson, and remember having the same impression when Pres. Hinckley became the prophet. It's very cool. And how about Pres. Uchtdorf's talk! Very fresh and powerful, I thought.
I guess Pres. Eyring must be having health problems. He had a cane and didn't conduct any of the sessions. I have a major crush on him. :)
Yuck. No one is allowed to have a crush on an apostle. A Seventy okay, but not an apostle. It was much better for you to have a crush on Orlando Bloom.
I'm trying to remember a year that I didn't fall asleep during any of the conference sessions...Well, I guess I've had to sit in uncomfortable pews sometimes. But I never feel too bad because I always read the talks in the Ensign. I like them a lot better when I can read them.
Post a Comment