Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

10 Days Til Disneyland: Plan Day 5

I was going to make up some story about how we had to cancel our Disneyland trip because I got laid off from my job or something, since it is April Fool’s Day after all. But I didn’t want to toy with your emotions or anything. I’m nice that way. Why don’t you put some of that sal—I mean SUGAR on your cereal…?

Alright, Our last Day at Disneyland will, for the most part, be pretty open and unstructured. We’ll have our 2nd Early Entry morning that day, starting at 8:00am. This time, we’re going to start in Fantasyland and go on those “daytime rides” like Dumbo, the Teacups, the carousel, etc. After that, we might go on Nemo again, then we want to go to the Jedi Training Academy. The Jedi Training academy is a show where they pick a bunch of kids out of the audience (18-20 kids, I think) and bring them up onto the stage and train them to be Jedi Knights. They show them some lightsaber moves (toy lightsabers, of course—the real ones are very burny). Then Darth Vader and Darth Maul show up and the kids basically whack the crap out of them with lightsabers.

Last year, Joel was too timid to yell and scream and get their attention, and a lot of people had even made “pick me” signs. So this year, we made a sign covered with Star Wars pictures that the kids colored, and Joel’s been practicing his yelling and arm-flailing. So hopefully he’ll get picked this time—he really wants to be in the show.

After the show, we’re going to head over to the Pirates of the Caribbean. We’ll take a ride on that before our lunch reservations at the Blue Bayou restaurant. I’ve been wanting to go there for years, and I really want to try the famous Monte Cristo Sandwich. Here’s the description of it, along with a picture:

Turkey, ham and Swiss cheese in a battered egg bread, lightly fried to a golden brown.



After that, it’s really just up to us what we feel like doing. If there’s something we missed or want to go on again, we’ll have the last half of the day to do it. I want to ride the Omnibus (double-decker bus) or the horse-drawn streetcar sometime during the trip, and you’ll notice that Autopia was not included on any of these days, though I know Maddy and Joel would like to ride that, so they might get their wish.

Essentially, Tuesday is our “buffer” day, letting us get our last fill of Disneyland for the trip so that we can come home feeling like we were able to see what we wanted to see and experience a real vacation. We’re going to stay in the parks as late as we want to (or until they kick us out) and then Wednesday morning we’ll head home back to “reality.”

So there you have it! Hope you enjoyed this sneak preview of our trip.
Be sure to come back this weekend for my thoughts on General Conference! I mean, there’s more to life than Disneyland, right?!

Today Sweeney Todd comes out on DVD. I’m sure Amanda won’t let me get it, which is probably for the best. I highly recommend it if you like gory, R-rated musicals about murderous barbers and cannibalism. Here’s a clip that’s safe to view (no blood or profanity) and you get to hear Alan Rickman and Johnny Depp singing a duet:



And here’s a bonus clip (also safe to view) with a song I often sing along to on the way home from work when I REALLY need to vent my frustrations about the day:

2 comments:

Jana said...

Thanks for making sure those videos were safe. I just gave permission to my boys to read your blog. Yesterday Conner spent his 30 min. of computer time listening to your Disneyland music and reading about your trip. They are so excited for our trip, and we still have six months! The want to get the Disneyland ticker. This morning they wanted to know what I was going to order for breakfast at Denny's(we eat there most mornings when we go to Disneyland). My friend got a Monte Cristo at one of the New Orleans Resturants, not quite the ambiance, but still yummy. Just incase the wait is too long at the Blue Bayou. Sweeny Todd looks like something I would like to watch(on TV since I don't do the R's).

Legendary Pink Dot said...

Hey, in that first clip, Alan Rickman looks a whole lot like Donald Sutherland.

I guess Johnny Depp has a decent singing voice! I'm going put this one on my Netflix queue 'cuz me no seen it yet.

Yeah, a good Monte Cristo...

And yes, you are a Disney freak, but I hope you have a wonderful time and that Joel and Madison get picked for the Jedi training!