Anyway, once we got to Disneyland, we headed over to the Finding Nemo Submarine Ride first thing, but they didn’t let us enter through Tomorrowland. We had to walk through Fantasyland, around the Matterhorn, and into the line set up north of the submarines. I don’t know if this is the normal routine, or if it was just because the ride wasn’t quite ready to open.
The ride itself was OK, but nothing I’d wait very long for. Not worth more than a 20-30 minute wait, for sure, although I think the kids liked it quite a bit. It’s definitely an upgrade from the original Subs ride, but while they got rid of the cheesy fake fish, they’ve been replaced with video screen projections, leaving me with the feeling that I just watched a movie underwater. But like I said, I’m sure that kids--who don’t see the technology behind the magic—find it a lot more fun.
Then it was time for Amanda and Maddy to go on Space Mountain. While they did, Joel, Abe and I rode the Buzz Lightyear ride 3 times in a row. Here are a couple pics:


You’ll notice that in both images, Abe's score is actually not too bad, compared to Joel's. Abe had been talking for weeks about how he was going to go on Buzz and shoot Zurg (that’s the bad guy in the world of Buzz Lightyear, for those of you that don’t know). He definitely made good on his promise. Really, I think he just had better technique: he just kept shooting the whole time, whereas Joel would only shoot while aiming for specific targets.
After that, Amanda and I each took turns going on Star Tours with Maddy and Joel. Then I went over and got Fastpasses for the Indiana Jones ride for Joel and myself. By now, it was about 8:30, and the park was open to everyone, but being Sunday morning, it was still pretty uncrowded. Really, I didn’t even need to get the Fastpasses, since the regular line was only a 10-15 minute wait.
We took our first bathroom break of the day, then went on the Jungle Cruise. I like when we get a good skipper that’s actually funny and uses some new jokes occasionally. One year we had this old guy that just WASN’T funny.
At 9:05 it was time for Joel and me to ride the Indiana Jones ride. He was a little nervous, and shed a couple tears while in line, but he went through with it and conquered the ride (luckily he wasn’t required to keep his eyes open during the ride). For his reward, he picked out a Pirate Mickey Mouse stuffed animal.
By then we were getting hungry (we’d had breakfast at 6:15 or so, after all) so we had another first: a Dole Whip (as well as a Dole Whip float). I forgot to take a picture, but Dole whips are kind-of an airy, soft-serve pineapple sherbet treat. The float is the sherbet in pineapple juice. It was good, but again, not something we HAVE to get every visit.
Conquering his “challenge ride” must’ve done something good to Joel, because his next ride was the “Gadget’s Go-Coaster” in Toontown (with Amanda and Maddy, while I watched Abe and refilled our water bottles—we must’ve filled those things 50 times during our trip—gotta keep hydrated!)

At 10:00, we rode Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin, but as we got to the very end of the ride, everything stopped, went black, then ALL the lights came up. I don’t know if it’s cause of the spinning of the cars through a dark ride or what, but apparently this ride breaks down a lot. As we sat in our cars for 10 minutes waiting to be escorted out, it was fun to look around and see the “behind the scenes” of the ride. Unfortunately, Amanda had the cameras in the car ahead of us, so I couldn’t get any secret pictures of the groove in the floor that the vehicles follow, or the torn, taped-up black fabric that you don’t notice when going through the “portable hole,” or even the great close-up I could’ve gotten of Roger Rabbit. Amanda did get his arm in the picture, though:

By this point, it was starting to get pretty hot, and Joel kept looking for any spot of shade he could find and sitting down in it for a minute. So we decided to take the Disneyland Railroad for a shady, breezy rest. We took a full-circle journey from the Toontown station, back to Toontown, then to Tomorrowland, where we exited. We got Fastpasses for Autopia, since the kids REALLY wanted to go on that. By then, Abe had fallen asleep in his stroller. Amanda sat in the shade with him, and Maddy, Joel and I went into the Innoventions building.
I hadn’t been in Innoventions for several years because I thought it was fairly boring and too crowded at the exhibits. But this time, it was really fun and not too busy. I’ve got some video I’ll share on Monday from inside Innoventions (we returned again with Amanda and Abe that day). Joel loved it, mostly because there were a lot of video games to play. One annoying thing: because they’re currently building a “house of the future” on the lower level, you have to walk up the very long exit ramp to enter the 2nd floor. Very tiring in the middle of a hot day.
Next we rode Autopia, which gave Amanda and me anxiety about when our kids reach driving age. Although we were each pressing the gas in our vehicles (the girls in one car, the boys in another) Maddy and Joel were steering. I think it was a rougher ride than Indiana Jones. But the kids totally loved it, and we rode it again on Tuesday.
By now it was really getting hot (a high of 102 degrees that day) and since we’d gotten up so early, we were ready for a rest. We shopped on Main Street for a few minutes, then went back to the hotel at 12:45.
After a really long rest, we headed to Downtown Disney at about 4:00pm. Let me mention here how annoying the “bag check” is at the parks. I know they do it to make Disneyland a safe place, but it’s really obnoxious having to unzip all the pockets in our backpack every time we go in. Anyway…
Joel had to use the bathroom twice within about 10 minutes while walking through Downtown Disney. Now, if we were inside Disneyland, this wouldn’t be a problem. I know where pretty much every bathroom is in there, as I’m sure you know. But I’ve NEVER had to use the bathroom while walking through Downtown Disney, so I was looking around for signs and consulting maps—I’ve never been so lost at Disneyland before!
At 5:00 we had our Dinner reservation at Goofy’s Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel. That was really fun. Abe was a little nervous of the characters at first (and was pretty grouchy, too—this was the day we realized Abe was getting an ear infection: the nastiness oozing out of his ear was our big tip, along with his overly whiny temperament and the fact that he only wanted me ALL the time), but after a while, he started having fun. Here are a few pictures:




The food was pretty good overall. I liked the potstickers a lot, but the chicken was too spicy. Here are some pics:


There were tons of desserts, but I was too full to enjoy them all. Here’s a sampling:

At one point, Joel and I were walking over to the buffet and Goofy dropped a bucket full of plastic measuring cups. I told Joel to go over and help him pick them up, but Goofy started using them to bang on the bucket like a drum. Joel and a bunch of other kids joined in, playing “music” with the utensils. I REALLY wish I’d had my video camera for that one. It was fun.
After a bathroom break, we headed over to DCA. We got Amanda and Maddy Fastpasses for California Screamin’, but Maddy chickened out and said she was definitely NOT going on it, which made Amanda rather upset, as you can imagine. However, it was then that Joel declared that he wanted to go on the Indiana Jones ride again, but this time with Amanda. So we planned that for the next morning.
We rode the King Triton Carousel:


then went up in the Sun Wheel. We went to the Tortilla Factory, but I was still too full to eat my free tortilla (plus it was corn—who wants to eat a plain corn tortilla? Flour tortillas are good, like a slice of bread, but corn? Blech!)
At about 8:00, we headed over to Heimlich’s Chew-chew Train and the Tuck and Roll bumper cars. On that one, Maddy drove her own car and Joel and I rode together. Again, Maddy’s driving skills were lacking and she got stuck pretty quickly. Meanwhile, Joel was heading in the wrong direction and we almost crashed into a whole collection of other riders.
At 9:00 we headed back to the hotel for a good night’s sleep. And Amanda was very excited that we were going to get to sleep in Monday morning.
Total bathroom breaks: 4
9 comments:
So apparently I need to get you some of the pumpkin pie shampoo/body wash next time I'm in Bath n Body Works! They only carry it in the fall, though, I think.
What a super fun time you guys had. Yeah, it was hot on Sunday. I was in Anaheim on Saturday and Long Beach on Sunday and it was 97-100. I thought of you! (With sympathy.)
You'll notice that we fill the water bottles a lot but don't pee much. It was really HOT!!!!
We got to go on the original space mountain this time and it was sooooo much better than their rockin space mountain we rode last year. There is something awesome about riding in pitch black. I love roller coasters and was totally bummed when maddy wouldn't ride california screamin with me. The first year I rode california screamin by myself (when I was about three months pregnant with joel) I had to ride with a weirdo guy that I swear was checkin me out (that was back when I was a little skinnier) so it was no fun to go alone and I didn't want a repeat of that experience.This is another reason why it will be more fun to go in a few years when my kids hopefully won't be so chicken.
I'm glad Maddy didn't go on California Screamin' because she could have died. Seriously--I almost did. I'm NEVER going on it again. EVER.
102 degrees? That is insane! Is that pretty hot for April in California? Doesn't usually get that hot in Utah until the end of June.
Thanks for posting the Buzz Lightyear pictures again. I showed Ethan, and he was impressed. And agreed that you looked miserable.
So, did Joel just survive Indiana Jones, or did he really enjoy it? By the way, what's the dealio with the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles DVDs? Lucas messed up the episodes.
Sounds like a busy but fun day at Disneyland. Makes me itching to go. And I though tubes in Abe's ears would fix his ear infections. What's goin' on with that?
I actually told Maddy that if she went on it with Amanda, I'd go on it by myself, but she still wouldn't go.
Yeah, Anaheim in Apreil is supposed to be in the 70's to 80's in April.
I may have looked miserable on Buzz, but I really wasn't. That's just my normal face nowadays.
What did Lucas do to the Young Indy Episodes? Did he change it so Archduke Francis Ferdinand shoots at Hans Solo first?
I think Joel mostly just survived it, but he did enjoy it a little--he said it was less scary than Soarin' Over California.
Apparently one of Abe's tubes hasd fallen out, but it wasn't the ear that leaked, so his eardrum must've ruptured or something. We're looing at getting him tubes again. This is his 2nd ear infection in 2 months.
Question for you...When you went to Goofy's Kitchen, did you see any birthdays? When we go, it will be on Conner's birthday. I was thinking that it would be fun to go there for Dinner. What better then disney characters to celebrate an 8 year olds birthday? Sounds like besides the oozing ears, you had a pretty good time. I have a confession to make! We aren't renewing our annual passes this year and we may not go next year. Not to Disneyland any way. We are going to Disneyland Paris in March! We will take lost of pictures and videos!
What Andy meant to say is that a tube has fallen out of one of his ears (which they told us would happen eventually and it has been 18 months) but that was the ear that leaked so his ear drum must've ruptured to let out the drainage cause there wasn't a tube there to let it out. We already have an appointment with the ENT doctor cause abe's pediatrician says two is enough to get new tubes. The one still has a tube in and it didn't get an infection this time.
Yuck. Poor Abe.
The Young IJC DVDs have two episodes put together like they are supposed to be movies. It's stupid. And apparently they took out the old Indiana Jones as bookends. And they put the episodes in chronological order of Indy's age.
Jana we were right next to a birthday party while we were there. They got a big bunch of balloons and they got a song and a cupcake with a candle in it. Mostly like a normal restaurant b-day except for the awesome balloons and they said I celebrated a birthday at goofy's kitchen on them.
Food-scented shampoos: yeah, maybe not the best idea. Actually, although Mom was nice to get me the pumpkin pie stuff last Christmas, I was nauseated and barfing so now I can't handle the smell of pumpkin pie in the shower. So I prefer natural scents, like of herbs.
In the photo from that kid rollercoaster, what the heck is on the face of the woman in front? Like covering her eyes.
Again, great pose from Maddy near the bottom! What a face.
It looks hard for those people in the Disney costumes to serve food. Can they even see?! But it still sounds fun and I bet Joseph would love to go soon.
Post a Comment