Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Disneyland 2008 Re-cap: Saturday

After a horrible night’s sleep at Whiskey Pete’s, during which I think Amanda and I probably got 7 hours of sleep COMBINED, we left Primm at 5:35 am. Weather? 55 degrees. (I’m including the weather reports for Amanda’s sake—she was REALLY interested in the weather. Something about hating the cold Utah weather…) During the entire drtive to CA and back, Amanda got very annoyed with several drivers who liked to pass us, then slow down so we later passed THEM, then they’d speed up again and pass us again. Her comment to the other drivers: “Cruise control is your friend.” She can’t understand why drivers don’t keep a steady speed through the drive.

Now then, we had originally planned to leave Primm at about 7 or so, figuring we’d be arriving to Primm later on Friday and therefore wanting to sleep longer. But because we left so early, we ended up getting to California pretty early. Instead of arriving at 11 or 12, as planned, we got to our hotel at 8:30 am. Here’s a video of us getting close to Disneyland—close enough that I put in our traditional trip-ending CD:



After giving the hotel our car info, we headed out to Disneyland.


Our first stop was the bathrooms near the entrance to Adventureland. Then Amanda and Maddy went on Splash Mountain while the boys and I went on the Winnie the Pooh ride—twice. Then Amanda and the kids went on Pooh while I got Splash Mountain Fastpasses for Maddy and me to go on later. Here they are on the ride:


We went on the Haunted Mansion and Pirates, and Joel was scared of the drops on that one. Then Amanda took Abe to the bathroom for the first of 3 diaper changes (TIP: Don’t give a 2-year old lots of juice and grapes on a long car trip) and Maddy and I went on Splash Mountain. While we were riding that, one of the Disney workers saw that Joel only had one collector pin on his lanyard, so she traded him his pin for 2 of hers. He was so excited.

By then it was 11:40, and we headed over to the Plaza Inn for lunch, but they were closed at the moment due to the fact that they apparently had no food. Soe went over to the Golden Horseshoe and while Amanda got in line for the food, I took Abe for ANOTHER diaper change. We ate lunch up in the balcony:




After a 3rd diaper change for Abe, we rode the Mark Twain, then took the Raft to Tom Sawyer Island. By this time, we were all getting really hot, tired and grouchy, so the island wasn’t much fun for us. This was our first time over there and I had no idea it was so big and full of twists and turns. I ventured through a small cave and experienced claustrophobia for the first time in my life. And of course the kids were scared of the “Pirate’s Cave.” As punsihment, we locked them into the bone cage:


At 2:15pm we went to the Tiki Room, then headed to our hotel to check-in, unpack the car, and take a rest. This trip, we discovered something that we hadn’t ever used before: one of those luggage rack/rolling cart thingies! I loaded it up and got all our stuff into the hotel room in one trip! Not 5 trips to the 4th floor and back like previous years!

After a 3-hour rest at the hotel, we headed over to Disney’s California Adventure (DCA). We went to the Monsters Inc. ride, Muppetvision 3-D (which always gives Amanda and me a headache for some reason) then went over to Flik’s Fun Fair/A Bug’s Land. We rode Flik’s Flyers, which Joel had been afraid of but realized this time that it wasn’t scary.

At 7:25pm, we went to find a bench to sit on while we watched the 8:45 Electrical Parade. We took my friend Jana’s suggestion of sitting over in the Farmer’s Market area and getting a brownie funnel cake to eat while waiting. It was a great spot to watch from , but the funnel cake wasn’t as good as we’d hoped (a little too greasy for us).

While waiting, I took a bathroom break; when I got back to the bench, Joel said he had to go. I took the kids over to play some music on the farm machinery/pots and pans area nearby:



Joel and Abe bought some light-up rainbow Lightsaber toys, and Maddy got a light-up necklace:

Then we watched the parade, which was OK, but we all agreed that we should’ve gone on rides instead. By then it was 9:20 and after a very long day, we walked back to the hotel, watching the fireworks above Disneyland as we walked.

Total Bathroom Breaks: 6

4 comments:

Jana said...

Your MJ cd just cracked me up. As often as we go, we haven't ever collected pins. We have some that we got because...yeah, I don't even remember. We haven't been over to the island, but I do remember the caves being a little tight. Sorry you didn't like the funnel cake, just leaves more for me next time. The kids watched your videos and are even more desperate for Disneyland. Conner says that he loves to read your blog, especially the Disneyland stuff. The thought that Joel looked really cool during Jedi Training.

Anonymous said...

SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUN!!! Wish I could have been a little speck on one of you to enjoy it all with you!

Mom

Anonymous said...

When we went down to St. George for Christmas, we had fun looking at the temperature in our car. It changed about 20 degrees within about five minutes. Pretty cool. Cedar City gets really cold.

I just checked out the Thriller CD from the public library, and I'm going to download it into my itunes.

We never do the parade. Parades are boring. Rides are fun.

Hey, repost that buzz lightyear photo, or send it to me via email. Ethan didn't get a chance to see it.

Legendary Pink Dot said...

Maddy's pose there at the end is great! Sounds like lots of fun, although 80 degrees or more is kinda hot, I think. And Manda, thanks for remembering the temp at Baker!

That was a big slice of chocolate cake, I guess that's why y'all shared it.

Abe looks like an angel when he sleeps.