Alright, we're down to 10 days...so it's a RULE that there must be a "Top Ten" list. So, here are my top 10 Attractions (since it includes rides and movies) at Disneyland and Disney's california Adventure. Feel free to disagree with me and submit your own top 10 lists. Heaven knows, my wife would disagree with most of my list--she's a coaster-freak (same with Madison).
10. Splash Mountain: This one made it into the top 10 because it’s a happy, colorful, well-designed ride. I love seeing Brer Bear dangling from the rope, and the big steamboat/”Zip-a-dee-doo-dah” finale is great. But I DON’T like getting wet, and the big drop always scares me. Plus, I’m not much for the “sitting in each other’s lap” seating arrangment. FUN FACT: many of the animals in this ride were originally in the “America Sings” attraction in Tomorrowland.
9. It’s Tough to Be a Bug: Lower on the list only because it scares the crap out of my kids, but this is a great 3-D movie. PIXAR did an awesome job with this, and the in-theater effects are great. I especially love the spiders descending from the ceiling and the last effect, where the bugs all leave the theater first (apparently you’ve been sitting on them the whole time). FUN FACT: The voice of Hopper in the attraction isn’t Kevin Spacey—it’s a dead-on impression of him by one of the attraction’s creators.
8. Star Tours: I’ve been on it so many times that the ride has lost a little of its thrill for me, but as a huge Star Wars fan, this ride is still a must-see attraction. FUN FACT: One of the droids in the queue area is a goose from the “America Sings” attraction—they just stripped it down to its innards and added some droid-looking attachments (like binocular eyes). BONUS FUN FACT: Before your first drop inside the spaceport, you can see the “Mighty Microscope” on the right side of the screen.
7. Twilight Zone Tower of Terror: The scariest ride on my list. This ride, I go on once then debate about going on again in the same trip. The DCA version is more streamlined than the Disney World version, but that makes it all the more intense. FUN FACT: The library contains props from old “Twilight Zone” episodes.
6. It’s a Small World: Yeah, yeah. Everyone loves to bag on this ride. But after 40 years, it’s still a very popular attraction. It’s got great design/style to it, and my kids LOVE it. It’s a long, relaxing ride that I’ll never get tired of. FUN FACT: This ride was originally part of the 1964 New York World’s Fair, and was sponsored by UNICEF.
5. Muppetvision 3-D: Still the most enjoyable 3-D movie at the Disney parks. Funny, highly-detailed, and not as scary for the kids. Even the wait for this attraction is nice—the pre-show videos on the 3 side-by-side screens are classic “Muppets.” FUN FACT: Waldo, the living 3-D Muppet from the film, was not strictly animated on computer—there was a puppeteer performing Waldo’s actions with a special puppet that was connected to the computer, like “motion capture.”
4. Alice in Wonderland: The best “dark” ride in Fantasyland. Very detailed, and riding up hills, down holes, and over leaves and mushrooms makes it more than just the typical “spook house” ride the others are. FUN FACT: They recently upgraded some of the effects in this ride—just for the fun of it—a sign that Disney management is finally deciding to spend $ on the rides instead of just adding another shop.
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: A classic attraction—this one “feels” like Disneyland for me. Highly-detailed, and a long ride, worth a wait in line. FUN FACT: The costumes for the pirates got ruined right before the attraction was to open. Luckily, the costume designer had already made an extra set of costumes (even though management had told her not to).
2. Soarin’ Over California: The happiest attraction at California Adventure. Just as “Pirates” feels like Disneyland, “Soarin’” feels like California Adventure. A thrill ride that isn’t scary, with a GREAT musical score. FUN FACT: The idea for the simulator’s lift mechanism was originally designed with an old Erector Set. BONUS FUN FACT: The golf ball that whizzes past you has a Mickey Mouse on it.
1. The Indiana Jones Adventure: As detailed inside as Pirates of the Caribbean, with a really innovative ride technology, with the Indiana Jones theme—a really great ride. Even the queue area is awesome—I love setting off the “spike ceiling” and pulling the rope in the well—if you haven’t done that, you’re missing out. A little too wild, maybe, but still, it’s the most enjoyable ride at the California Disney parks. FUN FACT: In the “rolling boulder” scene, your car doesn’t actually reverse—it’s a visual trick. You know, like when you’re sitting in your car and the car next to you moves and it feels like you’re moving? That’s kinda like what happens. Seriously.
Honorable Mentions:
Disneyland Railroad: The most relaxing ride at Disneyland, now that the Peoplemover is gone.
Jungle Cruise: I love corny jokes, and the new piranhas effect is great.
Haunted Mansion: Another classic ride, but it’s not as fun with little kids on your lap.
Now, since the top 3 have videos that are too dark, here's #4, Alice--still a little dark in parts, but deal with it, pink boy!
12 comments:
Only ten days left?! Wow, you're getting close. Ok, here are my agreements and disagreements:
Splash Mountain is fun and still scary on the drop. But it seems like it's always closed down when we go. Are they doing something with it now?
It's Tough to be a Bug: I definitely agree that it is one of the best. It is even a little scary for me, but it's a great interactive attraction.
Star Tours: It's gotten so boring. I'm not a Star Wars fan, so I think I can't appreciate the ride.
Tower of Terror: Better than I thought it would be. I love the Twilight Zone, so anything related to that is interesting to me. Too short of a ride.
It's a Small World: Definitely one of the best for the reasons you've already stated.
Muppetvision 3-D: Can't remember what it's like.
Alice in Wonderland: One of the better Fantasyland rides. The movie has always been creepy to me.
Pirates of the Caribbean: I liked it better before the movie-related changes, but it's still a good, staple Disneyland ride.
Soarin' over CA: one of my absolute favorites. Definitely one of the best. Must ride multiple times.
Indiana Jones: Awesome. Definitely number one.
Okay, top rides that you didn't mention:
1. Storybook Land: Why am I the only person that loves this ride? I think the little houses are so cute, and I wish I could live there.
2. Space Mountain: It's not really a roller coaster because it's not painful. It doesn't have the horrible hills and valleys like other roller coasters. It's just fast twisting fun.
3. Haunted Mansion: Deserves more than an honorable mention. I still get excited to find out which one of the hitchhiking ghosts will catch a ride with me. I love this ride. A nice favorite and always fun.
4. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln: I especially love the Civil War soldier thing. It seems so real! Ethan and I like to discuss where we would like to work at Disneyland if we worked there. I would definitely want to work here.
By the way, Jungle Cruise is still fun, but did you REALLY like the piranhas? I thought they were really too cheesy even for the Jungle Cruise.
Well, this was a long closure for Splash--Feb-May--because they're refurbishing the lift mechanisms--a pretty big job, apparently. And Splash also goes for a rehab every year, unlike some other rides that only go down every couple years.
There's constant talk about Star Tours getting an update, with several possible destinations mentioned. The coolest is one where you accidentally become part of the Tatooine Pod Race, and at one point the starspeeder's windshield gets shattered (I think you wear 3-D glasses on this version of the ride) and then there are all sorts of 3-D effects and wind/water/etc). But we'll see what happens.
Storybookland almost make the honorable mentions list--It's a very soothing ride and very fun to see all the houses--the line for it can be SOOOO slow, though, so it didn't make the cut.
Was Mr. Lincoln open when you went this last time? I really like that one, too, but that one's hard to go to with kids--very boring for them, and the 3-D sounds would probably scare them, too. I've got the audio of both the old version and new version on my mp3 player (along with pretty much every Disneyland ride).
Oh, and what we loved about the pirahnas was that they were unexpected. Also, I've found that the fun of the Jungle Cruise really comes down to the skipper. Last trip, we had a great skipper the first time and an AWFUL skipper the 2nd time. Really, he was NOT funny--he was this 60-year old guy that overacted everything like he was hosting a kid's show, with really drawn-out, over-enunciated delivery. It was lame, and it RUINED it. Luckily, we'd videotaped the FIRST one.
Hey, Libby's a Disney geek, too!
I always like Pirates, Haunted House and Matterhorn for nostalgic reasons (I like to remember that rumor back in the 70s of a guy who got his head chopped off by standing up on the whole Matterhorn ride!)
I don't think I've ever been on Alice in Wonderland. Seems like the lines were always too long even when I was little.
I'm not a huge fan of Space Mountain because it seems all jerky and you can't see anything but "stars".
I do like Indiana Jones, though -- fun even in the line. And Tower sounds good.
Disney is for Babies!!!
Actually we wish we could go... We are probably going to do the Magic Kingdom thing when we go out to FLA this summer...
As for this year, we got a nice shiny new laptop an a couple of Wii games with our tax return instead...
But I think with Kids Disneyland would be magical and fun again. I really want to take my kids there and give them the great experiences I had as a kid.
I know when I take them to the Bean Museum and the BYU bookstore, or even the Creamery, it reminds me of going there with Leland when I was a kid. I think Disneyland will be even bigger like that...
Mr. Lincoln was closed when we went, and I was so mad. But we saw some Disneyland b-day thing. It was okay, but not as great as Mr. Lincoln. I totally agree that the skipper on the Jungle Cruise either makes it enjoyable or not enjoyable.
Space Mountain is much different now that they've redone it. You can actually see the track. It's still really dark, but there's like a laser show happening on the walls during the ride. It's pretty cool. I think the ride feels smoother, too.
We also really like the Tiki Room. Andy, why didn't you have us ever go there when we were younger? Do you not even go now? Anyway, we think it's a fun corny and great to just sit and watch when you're tired.
Yeah, that Disneyland's 50th Movie was alright--not fabulous, but not horrible.
I really don't know why we never went to the Tiki Room. We always take the kids to that now, and we all enjoy it. In fact, that and Small World usually get repeat visits each trip. We did have one year that we kept meaning to go to the Tiki room but ran out of time--and Maddy reminded me of it for months after.
I actuallyblame Judy for us not going to the Tiki Room--I seem to remember her not wanting to go because se's scared of birds or something...
Maybe we should start calling Mom "Tippy" if she's scared of birds. That's probably what it comes from.
OK, yeah, I actually am to blame, and I know it. I don't like birds and I thought the show must be pretty lame with just a bunch of mechanical birds. So I didn't ever take you, no matter how much you begged! I have now seen it exactly one time, it was enjoyable, I'm sorry I robbed you all of a potentially great memory and I'm so glad you are now making up for it! But it's definitely not high on my list. How about the Pepsi Cola Playhouse/Golden Horseshoe Revue? We went to that!! :) :)
>How about the Pepsi Cola Playhouse/Golden Horseshoe Revue? We went to that!!
Yeah, so you could show your young boys those women dancing and pulling their skirts up to show their undies!!!
My favorite thing about Disneyland was always the frozen orange juice bars.
Post a Comment