Pages

Monday, February 12, 2007

29 Days 'Til Disneyland

This is the countdown day I've really been waiting for (besides the obvious zero days til Disneyland). Once you're down to the 20's, it officially close to the end (especially when it's been almost 2 years since the last Disneyland trip). We still haven't told the kids, although I suspect that Madison might be slowly putting pieces together--that's the burden of having really SMART kids. And when I picked up Maddy from school, her teacher (Amanda's mom) was like, "But aren't you going to Disneyland next month?" and I had to quickly conver with a firm "No, we're not." then explain later that it's a secret trip.

I take my Disneyland trips very seriously. When you spend more than $1500 on a trip, you want to be able to get your money's worth. For years now, I've used the "Unofficial Guide to Disneyland" as my reference. They have researched and studied crowd patterns at the parks and give plans that allow you to save time in line for rides. I take their plans and modify them to fit my family's interests and apply it to our touring days. Basically, the key is to go on the "big" rides that get most crowded first thing in the morning (or use Fastpass). We have the added wrinkle of a baby that can't go on those rides (and another son that avoids some of them) so we need to determine what to do while the others of us are on those rides. It's really a very sophisticated process.

For instance, on Thursday, Fantasyland opens at 8, the rest of Disneyland opens at 9, and California adventure opens at 10. So that's the day we'll be going to those long-line rides that the kids like (Dumbo, Casey Jr. Train, Peter Pan, etc.) until California Adventure opens 2 hours later--we can then head over there. After entering, Amanda and Maddy will head over to Soarin' over california (which Abe can't ride). Joel, Abe and I will head over to the Tower of Terror to get Fastpasses (which, for those readers who don't know--a Fastpass is basically a little ticket you get at the ride that gives you a "ride time" for later in the day, such as "return between 10:05 and 11:05", letting you skip past the long line and get on the ride)

Anyway, so then I can return to Soarin' and ride it, then we can do other rides (like letting Maddy and Amanda go on California Screamin') until our Tower Fastpass time. There are kids rides like Monsters Inc. or the King triton Carousel that the non-riders can go on while the others are on the rides. Not "The Others." They're on "Lost."

OK, enough of my Disneyland rambling.

How about the opening of the Gummi bears cartoon in GERMAN?!?! Gummibaren!

3 comments:

Legendary Pink Dot said...

There's actually a tv show about Gummi Bears??

Hey, you are a total Disneyland Geek!! And I hope you have way lots of fun!!!

I didn't know Amanda's mom was Maddy's teacher -- does that seem to work well? I guess in Utah it's hard to find teachers that are not related to some kid in their class, anyway.

Anonymous said...

That was awesome. Gummi Bears was one of my absolute favorite cartoons growing up (even though the candy is gross). It was even better to see it in German.

The Andimator said...

Squiddy, there WAS a gummi bears cartoon (technically, I guess it still exists on video) back in the mid-1980s.

I hope we have lots of fun at Disneyland, too. I REALLY need a vacation.

Yes, Maddy really likes having Amanda's mom as a teacher. Abraham loves it too, because when we go to pick Maddy up he always gets a sucker ("ucker" in Abe language) from Grandma.

Libby, I have audio of the Gummi Bears theme in Dutch, also.