Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Maverik Commercials!!

Here are the 2 Maverik commercials I've worked on so far (I'm currently doing work on a 3rd, and there's another one in pre-production). You can also view them via www.maverikmonster.com by clicking on Maverik Media.

The River/Soda commercial:


On that one, I did a lot of little things that you don't really notice too much. Look for shadows under the squirrel, vehicles, and monster. Also, I did the blinking red light on the GPS and Monster's tracking tag. Additionally, I did the "mist effect" coming off the waterfall. I also animated some of the camera moves.

The Nestle Commercial:


OK, I did a lot on this one--first of all, I took everyone's backgrounds and animation and composited them into shots. I did the movements of all the boats, and any motion of the backgrounds. My biggest success with the commercial was the water effects--notice the rippling water surfaces and the wake coming off the back of the boats? That's mine. (Not the hand-drawn animated spray that's in contact WITH the boat, just the water trails). I also did the smoke effects in the final shot. Again, I did the blinking light on the Monster, and I also animated Britney and Ron in shot # 2, where she says "It led us right to him!"

Well, that's all for now, hope you like my work, and I'll let you know when the next ones are up. Now I'm going to relax for a little then go see Harry Potter 5 by myself at the 10pm show. Yes, I'll be REALLY tired at work tomorrow, but I'm excited for it, and it's favor #2 Amanda owes me for making me go to her stinking family reunion this weekend.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you also animate the ladies' bouncing boobs? That was a nice effect...

Those commercials TOTALLY make me want to spend every waking hour at Maverik. Ok, not quite. But that is where we always go for our gas. And Ethan always uses that Maverik mug you gave us.

Hey, is "Midway March" by John Williams from 1941, or what?

Anonymous said...

Andy, thanks for putting these up. I guess we don't watch the right channels to see them on TV. VERY GOOD WORK!! Are you having fun?

Anonymous said...

I didn't see the first one for like forever; but then have seen both of them like 2 bazillion times (literally--gotta love DVR)...

Legendary Pink Dot said...

Been looking for these, but we tend to watch non-local channels. They totally look like your work, though, especially the second one.

Anonymous said...

No, I didn't animate the bouncing boobs--but that scene was fought over by several animators who wanted to animate the scene. Not me, of course, since I'm the Motion Graphics guy, and don't do the "animation" per se.

No, Midway March is the theme for the movie "Midway" (WWII movie with John Wayne I think).

Work is sometimes fun, especially the Maverik commercials--it's not so fun doing the rest--animating cursors or text...but it sure beats retail or food service!!

BTW, Harry Potter 5 was really good.

Tsubaki Shijuro said...

>"Midway" (WWII movie with John Wayne I think)

What?!?!?!?! I thought you were the guy that knew movies? Sheesh!

"Midway" had Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda, James Coburn, and a bunch of other big names, but no John Wayne.

It also had, of course, the great MIFUNE!!! as Admiral Yamamoto.

I saw "Midway" when it first came out in 1976. It was in "Sensurround."

Anonymous said...

Wow, Reed, thanks for the info. Anyway, they played Midway March at an American Fork Symphony Concert in the Park last night. So I was just wondering about it.

We saw Harry Potter 5 today. We go with Ethan's sister because she really likes Harry Potter, even though we're not really fans. We both got kind of bored in it, and we decided the storyline/plot is pretty much the same as the last four had been: Harry feels isolated, is confronted with a terrible enemy, must figure something out, then saves the world mostly by himself but also by learning to rely on his friends. But this movies was a gazillion times better than Evan Almighty!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clarification Reed. I'm not as informed on war movies as some other genres.

Hehe--Sensurround. I'm so glad theaters nowadays have THX (or similar system) just as a general rule. I remember going to some movies as a kid/teenager where the sound was so bad you could hardly hear unless you were in the first few rows.

I'm not a Harry Potter maniac (people in their thirties who ARE are creepy--especially the ones who dress up for the movie/book premieres.)

However, I think in terms of children's books, they're fun (though a little long). You're right that they're basically telling the same story, but I think for kids that's a good thing. It's about children learning to empower themselves. It's also interesting to see the stakes raised with each story: #1, a friend is injured; #2 a friend is temporarily dead (petrified) and another is almost killed; #3 includes the deaths of a pet and a godfather (who are both later saved via time travel); #4 a fellow student is killed; #5 there's a death that's even more significant, and #6 is an even more crucial death. The stories get more mature, darker, etc. as they progress.

Anyway, I've gotta get to work. You gotta love Professor Umbrige in the newest movie though. She was hilarious and creepy at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I definitely agree about Prof. Umbridge. Creepy but of course funny. I think the Harry Potter stories like to show that people are not always what they seem, or something like that.