I don't like to eat fish, but I 8Fish. www.8fish.com
As you all know, I got the job at 8Fish. Which was a good thing, because on Thursday night when I went into work at my old job, my boss told me he was going to be laying me off due to a lack of money anyway. Apparently it was down to a choice between whether to pay me, or pay his family's bills, so you can guess what the best choice was. Really, I feel like the universe converged to a point to give me this job right now. But it's proof that once again, the Lord often waits til the VERY LAST SECOND to bless you with things.
Anyway, I start Monday, doing motion graphics and compositing, with some animation thrown in for good measure.
Right now I'm working in a pseudo-freelance capacity, making less money (but still plenty more than I HAD been making) while they evaluate my skills/performance. Then after a couple of months I'll have a performance review and (since I always do a great job) I'll get a raise and benefits and such and be hired on as an official employee.
The reason he's doing this is because he's had too many bad experiences where he pays an untested employee a lot (based on their demo reel or what they SAY they can do)and they don't deliver quality results. I was expecting this approach to hiring anyway, because that's what has happened at several of my other jobs--90 day performance review, etc.
They have a TON of work to be done, and I basically can work as many hours as I want.
They have done a lot of advertising for Maverik convenience stores, and they have a DVD series "FHE on DVD" www.fhedvd.com that he gave me some copies of to test out with my family.
They also did animation for "Baby Signing Time" www.babysigningtime.com, meaning that my first and my latest job are both tied into that video series.
Their office is really nice. If I pay 10 bucks a week, they provide lunch and lots of snacks and drinks--the secretary actually cooks lunch for all the employees every day!! (all that have paid for the lunches, that is)
The computer station I'll be working at has 2 monitors as well as a huge flat-panel screen up above that you can watch footage on.
Next Friday is apparently a company retreat. I don't know the details, but I assume it's not a Booze Cruise or a "Beach Retreat".
Now, because Amanda and I keep referring to 8Fish as "Big Fish" (as a side note, Roy from "The Office" is in the movie, which ties into my "retreat" comment), and because it's just a really good movie, here's the trailer for the movie, "Big Fish."
9 comments:
AWESOME DECCA!
$10 for lunches and stuff? TOTAL DEAL--
Only bad part is the commute and current gas prices...
But this is awesome.
WONDERFUL!! SUPER!! You will be awesome.
OK, this is totally off-topic (well, technically we are having root beer floats to celebrate my job) but Amanda sucked in too much root beer foam and started coughing, and Joel was like, "You'll cough through the skeleton of your soul!"
It was funny
The job sounds wonderful. I would totally pay $10/week for someone to make lunch for me! I wouldn't want to have that secretary's job, though. But they probably hired someone who likes to cook, I'm guessing.
So are you guys going to move up to the Sandy area so you can be near your job and Amanda be closer to school?
We're currently debating whether to move to American Fork/Pleasant Grove or to Sandy. Sandy's closer to work and school, but more expensive apts. and we'd have to find a babysitter in the area. Am. Fork area is further, but then we have family that can watch kids. So that's one of our major decisions in the next few months, as well as trading in our van for 2 cars (with better mileage, too).
Although some days, Amanda and I will be able to carpool with each other (that sounds dirty for some reason, but it's really not).
Carpooling is a total necessity with gas prices as they are...
keep in mind I work not to far from you too; so that is a possible option at times... I am already in a carpool, but on occasion I would totally ditch them for you...
Hey Ando, is the 8Fish place still good?
Just checkin' in on ya...
From what I hear, they have him working alone in the dungeon...
Hi anonymous, how are you and Carrie doing?
Post a Comment