Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Time MARCHES on

Let's start off with Abe in his home-made airplane:



And Elliott dressed for his first day of church:



Now some of Elliott’s smiles (These are all ACTUAL smiles, not gas-induced smiles):






Abe’s grill, on the other hand, I’m not so sure about:



Speaking of Abe’s Grill, that’d be a good name for a restaurant. And speaking of restaurants, whenever I go up to Salt Lake City to do freelance work at McCann, I am obsessed with the smells of all the different eateries in the neighborhood. One of the days I was up there, I walked around the block and saw nearly a dozen restaurants that all looked interesting--everything from fresh-made burgers and sandwiches to exotic places like “Himalayan Kitchen” and “Star of India.” If I go up there more frequently, I’ll have to try them all out. The one time I did eat there, I went the safe road and got a burger and fries at a little shop that advertised “world-famous burgers” or “best burgers in town” or something. The burgers were good, the fries were GREAT, but not as good as the Carl’s Jr. Grilled Cheese bacon Burger, which is FREAKIN’ AWESOME.

Moving on…

All our babies liked to spit up a lot, but Elliott’s spit up bugs me most of all. All night long, I hear him spitting up (or grunting), and I swear he likes to spit up on me AS SOON AS I get dressed for the day. We have plenty of spit rags handy, though it always seems like they’re at the other side of whatever room we’re in.



Elliott is also the only child of ours who doesn’t like the NUK-brand pacifiers. He will only use the soft green “Soothie” pacifier we got at the hospital. Even the other Soothies we bought at the store don’t work for him (they’re too firm, apparently). More proof that he’s the child that’s going to be the death of us.

OK, so the other day I saw an article about some Christian preacher in Oregon that was ranting about how “Avatar” was the most satanic film ever, and that it promoted paganism and the worship of created things (like plants and animals) rather than a worship of the creator himself. Now, clearly, he’s a zealot, and hopefully most sensible people know better than to think this. The same thing goes for people who say Harry Potter endorses Witchcraft.

The real problem here is that these people that supposedly are so righteous and spiritual feel like everything has to be seen literally. Do these same people read the Parables of the New Testament and think they’re stories of sheep, coins, seeds, and fig trees?

If I was going to make a rant about “Avatar,” it would be to point out that people have spent over a billion dollars making and viewing a movie rather than using that money to do some good in the world—cleaning up neighborhoods, funding education, or helping Toyota make cars that aren’t possessed by demons.

OK, enough of my rant. Let’s end with a picture of Maddy as some sort of forest elf/fairy/magical princess:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

>Carl’s Jr. Grilled Cheese bacon Burger,

Carl's Jr. is the king of fast-food burgers.

>The same thing goes for people who say Harry Potter endorses Witchcraft.

If kids are becoming involved in witchcraft because of a goofy kids' book/movie like that, they were already in need of serious counseling in the first place.

Every so often some people will start a campaign to get Springville High to change their mascot from "Red Devils." They say it's a bad role model.

Like with Harry Potter, if your role model is a high school mascot, you've got bigger problems than what that mascot is.

>using that money to do some good in the world

Or to make a movie that wasn't another of many rehashes of the same story that's been done to death already.

By the way, you're the Disney animation guy, so I was wondering what you thought of "The Princess and the Frog." It was advertised as a return to the "Little Mermaid," etc., days. We saw it at the cheap theater for FHE last week, and I thought it was an epic fail. (I think Miles was the only one who liked it at all, and that was just for the scarier parts.) The songs were as bland as bland can be, the characters were thin and unlikeable for the most part, and the story (what little there was) was choppy. And the girl frog looked really, really creepy. Like a green slug.

I'm not a fan of musicals anyway, but Mermaid, Lion, Aladdin, etc., at least had interesting (and sometimes funny) songs. The songs in Frog were just plain dead.

The Andimator said...

Yeah, I agree that the Princess and the Frog was just really bland overall. Randy Newman did the music, and everything he writes sounds exactly the same, and the songs were completely forgettable. The movie had some nice animation, and a clever moment here and there (some of the voodoo spirit stuff had potential), but it was definitely NOT a "triumphant return to hand-drawn animation." More like a whimper than a roar. I did like the alligator and the silly Southern Belle blonde character.

The Gramster said...

Cute, cute, cute kids, Andy!! And Elliott is sure growing. I won't get to hold him tonight because of my germs, but I enjoy seeing the photos, anyway. It's always so fun for me when you update your blog. Since I haven't seen either Avatar or Princess and the Frog, I can't make any relevant comments.

Anonymous said...

I think the only thing I liked about the movie was all the Cajun cooking. It made me hungry.

That reminds me. We're out of Tabasco Sauce...

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Elliott is getting fat! I just want to make sure he's being true to his heritage, so I'm glad to see he is. Do you think he'll manage to get bigger than Abe did as a baby? Could we get him on the cover of Weekly World News?

Wow, Andy, getting all political! Okay, not really political, but you're actually showing opinions about issues. Who would've thought? I think Avatar's stupid just because I hate that kind of animation or CGI or whatever it is, and James Cameron seems like he's really arrogant, so I don't want to support his movies. Plus Ethan has seen Avatar enough times that I don't ever have to...

Haven't seen Princess and the Frog. I'll watch it on Netflix. I don't have very high expectations, though. And I don't go to Carl's Jr. ever since Ethan threw it up on the day dad died. Yeah, great memory.

Legendary Pink Dot said...

Himalayan Kitchen -- GREAT FOOD!!!

Carl's -- Yeah, best of the fast food burger joints.

George's friend did a lot of the CGI on Avatar, so although I ain't seen it, I have to give Lloyd credit.

Yeah, your kids are all cute. Abe should always wear that grill and I want to go eat at Abe's Grill, I'm hungry.

I love the picture of Maddy as a Return of the Jedi fairy princess!