Pages

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Photos and Videos and Such Nonsense

What? Another new blog post ALREADY?!?! It hasn’t been a month yet, what’s the deali-o?
I dunno. I just had stuff to write about so I decided to do a blog. Isn’t that what this blogging thing is all about? But I’m going to keep the text to a minimum (with the exception of my video annotations at the end) and focus on the pictures and video.

First of all, Amanda's still pregnant. The all-day morning sickness will be kicking in any day now, and she's been getting a little queasy already.

Here’s a photo update of our food storage:



We’ve been buying a little extra every week, and have planned out meals that use almost exclusively storable items. We’ve also been writing the expiration/freshness date in permanent marker on each of the items so we can easily see when they need to be used by and can rotate through them easier.
When Amanda was at work the other day, they found out one of the towels had a misprint on it. Before they got shipped off to some discount store, Amanda and I decided to buy one of them. I present to you, the BOZZ Lightyear towel:




Next, as I mentioned before, I’ve been working with a client on some items for some music videos. Here’s the first of the videos. I did the opening animation for it: Think Statler and Waldorf from the Muppets in a Wizard of Oz environment with a little bit of Guitar Hero thrown in for good measure:

The Adventures of CHICO Episode ONE from Toby and Cody McClure on Vimeo.



Finally, here’s our family’s entry intro the Howard Johnson Anaheim “What Do you Love About the Anaheim Resort?” Contest. Now, most of you have already seen this via Facebook or me sending you the link on Messenger, but here, I’ve also added some annotations and factoids (read them below the video) to give some fun trivia regarding the video.



0:00: The opening “Andy Face” and red, bumpy background texture were originally created for videos I was going to make as part of the Disney CMO Contest. They are inspired by the opening title cards of the old Mickey Mouse cartoons.
0:00: The music that opens the video is the music from the Roger Rabbit/Baby Herman cartoons.
0:09: This family photo is from our March 2007 trip to Disneyland. Joel is wearing his Spider-man pajama shirt underneath his t-shirt. This was either to keep warm or because he secretly IS Spider-man…
0:15 and 0:32: These maps were scanned out of the Rand McNally Atlas we bought at Wal-Mart in Riverside, CA when we were stuck there due to snow. It was very useful during our long detour over to Needles, Kingman, Hoover Dam, and up to Vegas.
0:30: In case you’re not familiar with it, the big white and red thermometer is the “World’s Largest Thermometer,” found in Baker, CA.
0:40: The video footage is from our April 2008 Trip; music is by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
0:53: While seeing the Tower of Terror building is an exciting highlight for us when we finally arrive at the Anaheim Resort, we haven’t ridden it during our last 2 trips. In April 2008, I was going to ride it but had an upset stomach from the greasy Monte Cristo sandwich at the Blue Bayou. In December, we got Fastpasses for it, but chickened out…
1:01: We’re each holding a Disney park map from either a different year or from California Adventure instead of Disneyland. Notice that Abe watches me to see when to look at his map.
1:05: This is from our April 2008 trip, right before Maddy got glasses. It’s weird to see her without them.
1:11: I tied clear thread to each of the hats, then stood off to the left holding all the strings. I told them to scream, then pulled the strings. I guess I had the string lengths wrong, because they came off back to front—oh well.
1:13: Note Abe looking back to see me.
1:20: Just ignore the Christmas Story Leg Lamp clock—that’s not found inside the Star Tours vehicles…and did I mention it’s difficult to get 3 kids to all move in the same directions at the same time?
1:30: Obviously, I used a split-screen “Parent Trap” effect for this. We set up the camera on the table, started rolling, had Abe do his Jack Sparrow part, kept the camera rolling (making sure no one touched/bumped it or the table) quickly changed Abe’s clothes to Buzz, then filmed that part. Then in After Effects, I combined the 2 videos and added the animation elements. Notice that both Jack and Buzz are making shooting noises with their mouths.
1:36: This picture is from way back in 2004.
1:39: My wife is such a good sport. Don’t ask why her hair isn’t falling in the upside-down California Screamin’ shot…maybe she used a lot of hairspray. Those are Abe’s sunglasses in the CA Screamin’ shot.
1:45: The leather jacket is a “Kick Start” TV show jacket, given to me by the folks at Maverik. The hat is an Indiana Jones hat that I got in 1989.
1:45: This shot was filmed by Joel—nice camerawork, son!
1:52: OK, a lot of things to spot here. First of all, the Churros were bought fresh on Friday from Costco. We put them in a Ziploc bag in the fridge. This video was filmed Sunday night. Although we warmed up the churros, they were rubbery and tasted terrible.
*The reason Maddy and Joel are laughing is because they’re recovering from the previous take, in which we all took a bite of our churros and all got grossed out.
*You’ll notice that Joel only PRETENDS to take a bite. Madison still has the previous bite in her mouth, and also only pretends to eat this one. Abe loved the leftover churros and had no problems eating it.
*Abe tries to lipsync my dialogue (I think that’s what he’s doing). He also LOVES wearing sunglasses.
*The music playing is the beginning portion of the Disneyland Closing Announcement. “Ladies and gentlemen, Disneyland has now ended its normal operating day.”

3 comments:

Legendary Pink Dot said...

Fun to hear the inside story on the Disney vid. Joseph made me keep playing it OVER AND OVER again. Was Abe chewing on his churro before everyone held their up to take a bite?

Joseph totally wants to go to California because that's where all the cool things are.

BTW -- barfy picture of suicide cereal!!!!

Jana said...

Thanks for making my life difficult! You really raise the bar for parenting. "Mom, how come you don't know how to do cool stuff like Andy?" I just hope our summer movies turn out good enough for the boys!

Anonymous said...

Ethan and I have watched your video a few times because we think it's so fun.

Glad to hear you've been building up your food storage! We've been very good at using ours up. All out of oats and beans now. Luckily there's a cannery in Indianapolis, so we're hoping to go there a couple times this summer.

Nice animation on your video, but the music sucks. I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing. Sorry. It was just too annoying.