
I had several projects at work converge this last week, and I was working a TON: I’d leave the house at 7:00am and get home at 7:30 or 8pm. I had to do a video presentation promoting the company’s “Live Events” capabilities. I also had to finish 3 commercials for Bountiful Mazda. And I had to finish an animated ad for another client, and THEIR client kept making changes, including flip-flopping on several pieces (“Put in the disclaimer—no, we don’t need the disclaimer—actually, let’s have a disclaimer but change the wording. Or, Make the numbers red…no, yellow, no, red…). Then I also had to start work on a video promoting our company’s Design capabilities.
Well, all the long hours, stress, and lack of sleep must’ve weakened my immune system, because Friday morning I got sick. Cough, sore throat, fever. A guy at work was like, “You look terrible, you should go home if you don’t have things that need to be done (But I DID have tons of work to do, AND I needed to stay to get my paycheck).
Saturday I spent the day either laying in bed or sitting on the couch. I had some Double Noodle

And I watched a couple movies. While pretty much any movie will do on a “sick day,” here are some of my top choices:
1. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.

Really, just about any 1980’s John Hughes movie will work (Sixteen Candles and Breakfast Club, especially), but there’s just something comforting about seeing someone PRETENDING to be sick when you really are sick.
2. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

OK, this is especially good if you’re bedridden. Just investing 8 or so hours experiencing the epic story of Frodo, Sam, Gandolf and Wally (there is a Wally, right?) can take your mind off your own suffering.
3. The Dark Crystal.

OK, so this was one I watched yesterday. Like Lord of the Rings, it’s got that other-worldly adventure going for it. Great character design, cinematography, etc.—and it’s all just a bunch of puppets!!
4. The Star Wars Films.

Any of them. All of them. Popcorn entertainment that can distract you from your stuffy nose, fever, etc.
5. Any episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Most of these movies are as bizarre as a fever dream, and are the kind of movies you’d expect to see while flipping the channels on a Saturday afternoon. But every episode guarantees at least a few “LOL” moments, even on repeat viewings. Some of my personal favorite episodes:
Hercules Against the Moonmen, Hercules Unchained, Catalina Caper, The Gunslinger, Manos: The Hands of Fate, Time of the Apes, Skydivers, and The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies.
What movies do you like to watch on a sick-day? I know Amanda's a fan of the A&E Pride and Prejudice, among others.
Finally, although I mentioned in a previous blog that I was going to take it casual on the Disneyland plans this time, Amanda complained that my “casual plan” wasn’t good because then she was worried we’d miss some rides. So I carefully crafted what I consider the BEST Disneyland itinerary I’ve ever developed, pretty-much guaranteed to give us a relaxing, enjoyable vacation. I’m sure as the trip gets closer, I’ll be posting more about the plans, but rather than just give you the list, I’ll explain my reasoning behind the choices made.
Like every year, we made a “countdown chain,” for the trip. Each link of the chain has the date, initial of who’s turn it is to pull the chain, and a ride that’s our “ride of the day. “ For instance, today’s chain said, “3/9: A [for Abraham]: Tower of Terror.” So today we’ll watch a YouTube video of the Tower of terror and maybe talk about it. Something tells me Maddy and Joel will both refuse to go on that one, but we’ll see.
The kids have been getting allowance in the form of Disney Dollars to spend at Disneyland. This helps them learn to SAVE (We’re really tired of them blowing their allowance at the $1 store or the candy machines at WalMart) and lets them have more motivation for doing chores. At the parks, they can buy souvenirs with their money, and they each will get a “bonus souvenir” if they tackle their feared ride of the year: Maddy needs to go on California Screamin’ to earn hers, and Joel gets something for going on the Indiana Jones ride.
Whew, that was a long post, but I think I’ve caught you up on things. Now I’d better go make the kids some lunch and settle in with MST3K: Hercules Against the Moonmen.

Since you can’t be here with me to watch it, here’s a taste, the “Praises of Pants” song (since those Ancient Greeks weren’t as lucky as us modern pants-wearing folk).
11 comments:
Dang, now I gotta watch some MST3K! Where's that DVD you made me, I hope it ain't packed yet...
Oh, love the Abe pic. I saved a copy.
And Saturday afternoons are perfect for MST and B-movies. Or maybe some good 70s black cinema classics like Superfly or Coffy.
OR: If alone, get into a Hal Hartley classic, some weird foreign classics like Stroszcek or Eraserhead.
Or a stupid teen flick, maybe all the Bring It On sequels, they're classy.
I meant that last remark sarcastically.
when I am really sick-- like can't get out of bed-- I like the Lord Of the Rings extended edition making of documentaries and stuff... I just click "play all" and let myself doze in and out of consciousness...
Also DVD's of TV shows like Arrested Development and Monk... anything that I can doze of, but when I do wake up, I can watch a few minutes and doze off again...
Wow! I thought I had the record for longest blog entry! I had to pull up your blog, so that I could check it and remember what I wanted to say. Cute picture! I found one from the 10 year HS reunion. I can send it to you if you would like. I have to agree with nearly all of your movie choices. I will take Amanda's over your MST, though I can honestly say I haven't seen any more then what you have posted. Any of the Jane Austen movies will work. Lord of the Rings has to be the extended version, I love when the trees crunch the bad guys! I must admit that although I am jealous of your Disneyland trip, I was kind of disappointed that you weren't going to do a big count down. The boys and I live for those! Conner and Dallen started an itinerary for our next trip. They are crazy with withdrawls. It's been over three months for them, one for me and who knows when we will get there. I love your Disneyland ideas!
yeah, Lord of the Rings is definitely good for dozing off. Same with his other extremely long movie King Kong.
I was actually just talking about movies to watch while sick with some sisters at church today. We all agreed that both the A&E Pride and Prejudice and Ann of Green Gables are great to watch. I also like Hitchcock when I'm sick or some stupid chick flicks. I have a section in our DVDs that is specifically movies to watch when I'm sick at home and Ethan is gone. They include 13 going on 30, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, and A Little Princess.
Andy, I hadn't remembered how much Joel on MST3K has influenced your mannerisms and speech. I had to really concentrate to realize it wasn't you on the screen!
My day has been crap, but I came to peek if you had anything new to cheer me up! What could be better then Disneyland music! Thank you for making my day just a that much more bareable!
Hey Lib, I also love The (A?) Little Princess! I grew up on the Shirley Temple version, but isn't there a more modern version that's good too?
Hi... just happen to cross your site...
Im planning to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong Disney this Christmas. Hoho and I found some stuffs from Hong Kong Disneyland here as well:
disneycloth.cwahi.net
I will definitely take tones of photos there!!!
Post a Comment