Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2007: Gone already? 2008: A Magical Year

OK, seriously, 2007 went by REALLY REALLY fast. Thank goodness. I can only hope every year goes by as fast as 2007. I’d like this mortality thing to get over ASAP, frankly.
Overall, 2007 was a really good year. I got a real, good-paying job that is at least somewhat in the animation/entertainment industry. True, I’ve spent most of my time there doing motion graphics, video compositing, or sound recording instead of character animation, but it sure beats retail, food service, or tons of other jobs I COULD be doing.

We are able to pay the bills, and we’re slowly (really, really, really, really slowly) getting out of debt. Amanda got a job at the Disney Store that just opened here in Orem (and they’re going to keep her after the holidays, too) and all that goes to paying debts. Plus, I won the Fluflix contest (though I’m STILL waiting for that check to arrive).

Maddy started 3rd grade, Joel entered Kindergarten, and our little Abe is now 2 years old and very grown-up for his age. He’s very good at speaking (they’ve asked him to give a talk in church next month—ok, not really), and he loves music. He’s also in love with Giselle from “Enchanted” and Annette Funicello from “Babes in Toyland.” Joel is learning to read, which should help him (and give us a break) when he has to read stuff on video games. He’s really good at games on the Wii, and has an amazing memory. Maddy loves reading, and goes through a book a night, on average. She’s also been having a lot of fun at Achievement Days at church (Amanda’s the Achievement Days leader, too!)

Movie-wise, I only saw 13 films in the theater: Children of Men, Meet the Robinsons, Spiderman 3, Pirates of the Caribbean 3, Ratatouille, Transformers, Harry Potter 5, The Simpsons Movie, The Bourne Ultimatum, Beowulf, Enchanted, The Golden Compass, and Sweeney Todd. I saw Harry Potter three times (once alone, once with Amanda, once with Maddy and Joel) and Sweeney Todd twice (once alone and once with Amanda).

Now onto 2008. The blog title mentions that 2008 is a magical year. Why, you ask? I will answer you with a link to a new blogsite which you’ll want to check on a regular, daily or weekly basis:
http://10yearsofmagic.blogspot.com

Hope you all have a great new year. Now let’s go back 25 years, to good ol’ 1983:

18 comments:

Legendary Pink Dot said...

That was a weird bit of nostalgia to see an old HBO bit. 1983 is so ancient.

You saw Beowulf? Gory, huh!

Happy New Year to all of you.

Anonymous said...

I didn't recognize the HBO thing until near the end when the music got going. I definitely remember the music.

Don't forget that "Thriller" was also 1983. That really was the monumental event of 25 years ago.

Start off 2008 by going to see "Juno." It's really good. You and Amanda would like it.

Your 2007 was a lot more interesting than ours. We didn't even send out Christmas cards because we didn't have anything interesting to tell people. I could've just sent last year's letter to everyone and added one line about our Europe trip.

Anonymous said...

I always have a hard time around New Years... trying to temper my intense bitter pessimism with my unbridled optimism...
But I see no reason why each year cannot be "the best year EVER"... The only real key low point is that I got called to Primary... Don't see any positives in that... ugh.

Legendary Pink Dot said...

King Kevin, are you bipolar or something? Although I can see your point. I'm a pessimistic optimist myself. And yeah, Primary can be hard but sometimes there's a cool kid here and there.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Primary. I was so excited when I got called into Nursery and then to Primary. It is so much more enjoyable than Relief Society. I am never bored. Very tired by the end of church, but never bored. I say that the church should find all the people who like to be in Primary and keep them in there. I know there are plenty of us. Then I don't think the non-Primary-lovers would have to be in there. Win/win situation.

Anonymous said...

I like Primary fine... I am not bored... I just can't stand the kids. They are dirty, ill behaved and annoying. I guess I am just spoiled with my own kids being as good as they are, and my nieces and nephews not being bad...

But then again, I generally am not fond of kids very much until they are older anyway...
I am hoping that now that I'll have the 11 year olds, it will be better...

Anonymous said...

And While I am on the subject, I must say that I hate you and Ethan. I am drinking so much Freaking Hot Chocolate now, and I can't stop... It is so easy and comes out the perfect temp... when I'm not drinking a fresh hot mug, I am thinking about drinking a fresh hot mug... CURSE YOU!!!!

The Andimator said...

do you drink your cocoa with your fancy new Disney mugs??

BTW, we got Maddy a Tinkerbell mug, so she's forgiven Carrie for stealing her mug at the Christmas party.

I would MUCH prefer teaching primary than sitting in gospel doctrine, but sometimes sharing time makes me want to hit myself repeatebly in the head with a blunt instrument.

The Andimator said...

repeatedly

Anonymous said...

Yes... but with the amount I am drinking, we are going through all the mugs in the house... We can't wash them fast enough...
Actually the Disney ones are Very good for the Hot Choc... they work great.
And sorry I stole the Bathroom Reader from you... But I really needed a new one...

Anonymous said...

1983...I was in Japan most of the year, so I missed everything happening in the U.S.

Kevin: If the Primary kids get out of line, just use the Great Kali Vice Grip on them. (Miles can explain it to you if you don't know what that is.)

Libby: My idea is the reverse of yours. They should take all the people who hate Primary and keep them in there until they like it. They do that with other callings, so why not with Primary? :)

Andy: I thought the "magical" thing would be something related to Disney, but I checked the other blog, and it's some freakin' romantic crap! :)
Actually, it sounds like you'll have a lot of fun creating a great memory.

Anonymous said...

Man, Kevin really makes me want to drink some hot cocoa. We'll bring our own mugs though so you don't run out.

The problem is Andy does all this celebratory stuff for me and now nothing I do for our tenth will be anywhere near as good. A little advance notice would be nice. What do I get for you now?

I didn't realize how much I liked primary till they took it away but as Andy mentioned our sharing time was pretty lame besides I just spend my time in nursery anyway with the most clingy of my children so far. But hey free snacks right?

Anonymous said...

Honestly, when Ethan and I were first married, the Primary Pres. asked me to sub as the chorister. I said, "As long as you don't call me into Primary." So, of course, I got called into Primary. I've been there most of the time since, unless we were ward missionaries. So, Reed's idea worked because I did not want to be in Primary, and now I love it. But Nursery is better.

I'm actually not a huge hot chocolate fan. Ethan is. He makes homemade hot chocolate with Vitamin D milk and chocolate chips. Really creamy and rich. I hate it. But he loves it, and so do most people he gives it to. I'm all about the Stephen's cocoa mixed with hot water.

The Andimator said...

Amanda:

Hey, if you can arrange it so we can get to disneyland this year, that'll be fine. :)

Libby, what, you too good for Swiss Miss cocoa now??

Anonymous said...

Carrie likes that "home made" Hot chocolate too... Not a fan myself... Just some good piping hot Stephens mix... Actually I even like the Cheaper Crappier stuff if I am at football game or something... The BYU Hot Chocolate at the games tastes like brown water... but it is just what I want... Especially in those collector's mugs... like at Disney... mmm... Great... I'm stuck at work with no Hot Chocolate... I better Call Carrie and ask her to have some waiting for me when I get home...

Anonymous said...

You know walmart brand hot cocoa is WAY better than stephen's. In my opinion. mmmmmmm. and cheaper. I better call andy and ask him to have some waiting for me when I get home.

Anonymous said...

How about just buying a gallon of that really thick supermarket chocolate milk and heating it up in the microwave?

Anonymous said...

Too far Reed... too far...

Indolent Dolt said...

How about just buying a gallon of that really thick supermarket chocolate milk and heating it up in the microwave?